Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It Happened to Me


I’ve often marveled at the mystical relationship between women and their chocolate. Light or dark, world-class or cheap, the fruit of the cocoa bean seems to be an enchanted concoction that can transform the ladies from worn down and woebegone to effusive and exuberant in a single bite.

I’ve even been a bit arrogant from time to time, boasting about how we men are clearly above such nonsense.

But then . . .

The other day, I stopped by See’s Candy in the blackest of moods. I was so miserable I didn’t try to hide it when I walked in. I even refused to buy anything for myself. But the lady behind the counter offered me the obligatory sample, so I returned the obligatory thanks and ate the thing while giving her my order. She filled it, I paid for it, and then I left the store.

As I got into my car, I noticed that my black mood seemed to have vanished. I felt – yes – light and airy. The next thing I knew, I was singing some goofy pop song from decades ago, and bopping around behind the wheel. I was happy. Oh, so happy! I was smiling at nothing!

Then I remembered: I’d just eaten Chocolate. I was shocked, but still smiling. This had never happened to me before. I was so glad to be alone, convinced that I was betraying my fellow guys in the worst of ways. Also, because I couldn’t stop smiling, and I didn’t seem to want to.

So no more boasting from me about male supremacy over chocolate. I certainly don’t want to be a hypocrite. Besides, no one will believe me with this big cocoa-covered smile on my face.

4 comments:

  1. That was the nest post...I will have to share that with my husband...now he will know he is not alone :) Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant the best post...see what happens when you post at almost 2 am :)Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it !! Finally a guy who loves chocolate and is not afraid to admit it. lol
    Have a wonderful day filled with chocolate.
    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, truly wonderful to hear that the gods nector also works for men! Just wait till Nancy hits menopause, you'll need to buy stock in See's for both of your sakes...
    Hugs
    Ulla

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them. Thank you!